Sunday, September 9, 2012

Crutch Words

Tonight, we learned about a whole bunch of words, called crutch words,  that are used in conversations to give people a bit more time to think. For example: Of course, actually, in introspect, etc. Some of these I can understand, but there is one word that really bugs me, when used improperly: LITERALLY!

I find it SO annoying when someone says, "I literally died laughing!" I am almost tempted to say, "Oh, really? If you literally died, you wouldn't be talking to me!" I know it sounds silly, but if it isn't literal, why on earth would you say it is?

2 comments:

  1. I think that people use "literally" way too often also. If they really mean what they say, most of us would be dead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about "like?" I think it should be used in situations such as, "Do you like...?" instead of, "She was like..."

    ReplyDelete